(Cleveland) - The 2014 Cleveland Firefighters Shamrock Club Memorial to Fallen Firefighers was held next to FirstEnergy Stadium.
The annual St. Patrick's Day tradition pays tribute to firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty.
This year, participants remembered the passing of Cleveland firefighter Robert Marquard, who died in the 1963 Avis Rent-A-Truck propane gas leak explosion.
Marquard, a 15 year veteran of the force was ventilating the area when the blast occurred. He suffered burns over 50% of his body and died several weeks later.
Attending the ceremony was son Bob Marquard, who was touched by the outpouring of support. Bob says he was just 8 years old at the time, but remembers his dad as a hard working, but fun loving guy.
Bob says, 50 years later he had to refresh his memory of the case, but reports his children have now taken a keen interest in their grandfather's legacy.
(Photos by Ken Robinson/WTAM)